Monday, December 5, 2011

A belated critique of drummer's night...

The Drummer's Night series of shows just celebrated it's fourth installment recently at the Cock and Bull pub, and I couldn't have been more uninterested.  Let's just say I went to the first two and decided I had gone to one too many.  Here's the problem with them: every single jam inevitably winds up being the same general beat played at the same general tempo.  It seems like all the drummers are either looking around trying to read everybody else's playing, or lost in their own 80 minute solo.  The really insecure drummers hit their skins harder and harder, and the modest, soft-spoken drummers are content to waste their evening away pretending to enjoy their instrument. And then the creator of the event, who I'll comment on shortly, seems to think that with 96 drummers playing in an open-air venue that four guitarists are going to have a chance to play some licks that will be discernible and audible to anyone but themselves.  It sucks for the drummers and it sucks for the guitarists and I have to imagine it sucks for people who show up thinking it's gonna be a life-altering experience (intoxicated people aside).  Let me tell you the only person I can say with absolute certainty that it doesn't suck for:  John Lichtenstein.

John Lichtenstein is a gentleman who appears to have done a lot for local music.  The key word here is appears.  For someone who has the reputation of a selfless and tireless promoter of original, local music he sure does thrust himself into the spotlight at his events.  Everyone at any given moment knows where John is when he's at his events as he spends countless calories walking around from stage to stage to soapbox to stage with his utility headlamp, ineffective mega-horn, and unnecessary announcements.  When he's not walking around promoting and commentating the event that everyone is already at, he's punishing listeners with his unique brand of amateurish, droney, unmusical bass guitar "playing" and kick drum I-don't-know-what.  Let's face it people, the "experimental music" label in many cases is just a really polite way of saying "this music is affecting my life in a negative way and I wish it didn't exist/wasn't happening so near to my ears."  Still, because of his tenacious leg-work in the marketing process and his established clout as a big time local production machine, he manages to get up to 200 people to a musical event that lacks music.  Furthermore, he gets to collect all of the indie-social points that come with these large scale events.  

But to show that I'm not a completely heartless, lifeless, tireless asshole I will say this:  John's end of the daikdjfiaowejijaf whatevers do impress me, albeit slightly, in their ability to sound more like music.  Probably because there are more musicians... zing!  I think the concept behind Drummer's Night needs to be reevaluated.  I think the dial tone stuff is getting somewhere.  I think John might secretly be putting on all of these events to stroke his own deceivingly large ego... ?  

Godspeed,
Daedalus


20 comments:

  1. Just so I and all of us reading this blog can get a feel for the music you do enjoy, what are your top 4 musicians of all time. Not that I don't take your opinions seriously but for all I know from this post is your an angry drummer who wasn't invited to play at drummers night and thinks a hate blog is going to help you obtain some weird form of satisfaction. I admit there's a lot of bands in the local area that are not very good in my minds eye or to my musical taste, but aren't they allowed to enjoy what they're doing and who the are just like the rest of us. If John does find pleasure in massaging his ego I say kudos to him for knowing what he loves and for chasing after it. Anyway what are your top 4 musicians??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Care Bear,

    Please continue to take this blog super seriously. I plead the fifth on whether or not I am a bitter drummer. Bands that suck are perfectly entitled to continue sucking if it makes them happy, just like I am entitled to write an anonymous and spiteful blog entry about whatever or whomever I please. John can sleep well at night knowing he has officially reached celebrity status now that he has been featured in a brief smear campaign. It happens to all the really popular and likable people.

    4 top musicians all time: Django Reinhardt, Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Paige, Josh Homme. Not necessarily in that order.

    Please keep reading my blog in the future, I promise you'll laugh at least once.

    Daedalus Aflame

    ReplyDelete
  3. To fix drummers night they should do what all good live performers do;

    Rehears before performing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOHN YOU GENIUS YOU WROTE A HATE BLOG ABOUT YOURSELF TO FURTHER YOUR OWN ILL CONCEIVED MOTIVES!! HATING MYSELF MAKES ME FAMOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If drummers night rehearsed it would kind of defeat the purpose. Besides what are they gonna do anyway? the 90 drummers that suck are still going to make it impossible for the group as a whole to pull it off cleanly. This way you can kind of tell which drummers actually have complete control and awareness of their instrument. Not that you could really do much in that situation to add to the "mix" anyway. It's a cool idea that needed to be done. Who else is going to try these crazy things we joke about in the secrecy of our apartments with no electricity? Seriously, it's science if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I love this site! This is exactly what the Sarasota music scene needs: some counterspin from a well-written critic that is able to professionally critique something without getting nasty and personal. Thank you for being here and keep up the good work! PS. You are invited to join SarasotaMusicScene.com and post as a featured columnist there. We welcome all local music support (and critiques are a form of support too!) Rock on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire,

    Your comment is like terrible B.O. (body odor) masked with too much perfume. I smell sarcasm, and it smells worse when it's hidden under such sweetness. But I did join sarasotamusicscene.com. So there.

    Always trust your nose,
    Daedalus Aflame

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, i was being totally serious, actually. I really meant what I said (but don't blame you at all for being suspicious)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS. I figured actions speak louder than words, so I have featured your post on SMS and sent you a private message over there.... I really do think that you bring something worthy to the table. We need a well-rounded scene -- which includes its critics -- not just flowers and sunshine. It keeps us on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man I can only hope for show and album reviews!! haha

    But I really hope there is at least a post every sunday morning so I have something to read while I sip on my morning coffee down at the good ol pastry art

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why fix drummers night. Its fun and energetic, it does not pretend to be a great live show, its a gathering.
    I don't believe John takes himself as seriously as most of the stereotypical promoters in this area, Sarasota is never satisfied. Its sad
    I like John he is a complete weirdo and we are all ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know what's sad? 200 people is considered a big deal for a show in SRQ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I've happened upon John Lickmyanus' "music", I'd wished I had brought an ice pick with. So I could poke my ears. Repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. John is certainly not a "musician" in the typical terms but to question his celebrity status is quite hilarious. Someone decided to make their first post about the Sarasota Music Scene about him. He is a celebrity, he is kind-hearted and he is very creative.

    Now does this mean that he thinks Drummer's Night is perfect? Nope, there are some kinks, but it sure does make people come out and see it. That's what he likes. He doesn't want to make a piece of perfect music, his idea is to put people who haven't rehearsed (I write this the correct way for the person who wrote 'rehears' instead of 'rehearse')and to POSSIBLY come up with a cool sound. I know him quite personally and never once has he ever told me this is a concept that is supposed to be about perfecting. He actually really loves imperfection, pissing people off, and doing what he wants to.

    Perhaps the only reason why you "slightly" like The End of The Dial Tone Radical Experimental Collaborative Music Band Band is that he dedicates poster board made figures that are impersonating people like you, Burt Young or otherwise. Who has the deceivingly large ego now?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd venture to guess the person with the deceivingly large ego now, is the same who's talking about himself in the third person!? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome critique! Please keep 'em coming... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Events and promotions solely based around a macho ego.
    Nothing out of drummer night, dial tone, or melting ice has a symbol of taste. Just like most bands here they steal ideas from others and ten photographers capture the ego gang bang for Facebook later..

    ReplyDelete
  18. An Ego Gang Bang, that's a rather good description of the Sarasota Music Scene actually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. "To fix drummers night they should do what all good live performers do;

    Rehears before performing."

    To fix your comment, you should do what all good commenters do: Edit before posting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really like the design of your blog. Can you please tell me what font this is? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete